Grodno Belarus History
The Republic of Belarus is a beautiful country in the eastern part of the former Soviet Union, bordered to the west by Russia, Ukraine, Kazakhstan, Belarus and Russia's eastern neighbour Russia. Situated on the border between Russia and Ukraine and the Russian Federation, it has always had an important geopolitical position and includes a population of over 10 million people with a total area of 1.5 million square kilometers.
Poland and Belarus, as well as Lithuania, are linked by a common and once powerful state, which existed in the Krevo Union from 1385 until its division in 1795. Belarus has played a key role in all this for the ancient Russian culture and language, owing to the common history that emerged from the common state called Commonwealth Poland-Lithuania.
The last Sejm of the First Commonwealth approved a partition treaty between Russia and Prussia in 1795, which designated Grodno as a transitional province that ceased to exist after the defeat of the Kosciuszko Uprising the following year. Polish-Lithuanian Community, which forms the Grand Duchy of Trakai the Russian Empire annexed the whole Grotno region. The Great Lithuanian Duchy of Belarus and incorporated two of them into the Grand Lithuanian Duchy.
At a time when the present capital of Belarus, Minsk, was in a state of territorial uncertainty, Grodno continued as an independent state. On 23 May 1917, it declared its independence from Russia at the BNR Rada (Council) in the village known then as "Mensk." It became the first city of the Belarusian National Republic and the second largest city in Belarus. But by then, her RADA and council had to flee Grotno and leave Minsk in search of a new location for their capital, and they left and went.
Belarusian territory became part of the Russian Empire, followed by the annexation of Belarus by Russia in 1812 and then by Ukraine in 1917. In many ways, Grodno's history and its relationship with the rest of Eastern Europe and Russia reflects the history of Eastern Europe. Grotno has been part of various states throughout its history, but it has always been under the control of a prince of Lithuanian origin, Mindaugas, among others. He controlled the territory that formed the present Belarusian National Republic (BNR) and the former Soviet Union (USSR).
At the end of the war, in March 1918, the Belarusian People's Republic was proclaimed in Minsk. A peace treaty between Poland and the Bolsheviks in Riga led to West Belarus becoming part of the Second Polish Republic and East Belarus of the Soviet Union.
The Lithuanian government claimed the city for itself, although it was agreed in the Soviet-Lithuanian Treaty of 1920, signed in Moscow on 12 July 1920, to transfer Lithuania. Grodno was assigned as part of Lithuanian territory under the treaty, as was the territory of Western Belarus.
In 1919, the Poles took over the city and replaced the Germans, and Grodno became part of the Polish-Lithuanian Commonwealth of Independent States (Krakow). Over the next two decades, Poland became one of the most important cities in Poland, with a population of over 1.5 million people. Western regions of Belarus, including the cities of Gdansk, Minsk, Krasnodar, Leningrad, Riga, Vilnius and Kielce, were annexed to Poland, while those in the east remained part of the Soviet Union. In the early 20th century, it became the capital of Lithuania and the second largest city in Belarus in response to the Second World War.
Modern Belarus is relatively evenly populated, with the exception of the swamps along the southern border with Ukraine, but its uneven geography is due to its proximity to the Baltic Sea.
In Belarus, the Germans murdered many of the Jews living in the country, as well as Jews from the Reich and Bohemia who were deported or escaped from Belarus and all of Europe.
Among other things, they sought to immortalize the name Belarus (Belarus) on the territory of their people, whose language is now called Belarus. The Grand Duchy of Lithuania constituted the majority of the population of Belarus and the majority of its territory. The statutes were written in the language in which Lithuania was written, and it is believed that the red-green flag originated in the reign of King Alexander II of Russia (1812-1814). The red flag was introduced in 1951, the green flag in 1953, and the blue and red flags were added in 1958.
The Jewish community in Lithuania was larger than in Vilna when Grodno passed to Russia during the Third Partition of Poland in 1795. Lithuanian Jews of that time developed the trade of the country, with business going across the Baltic Sea. The city, also known in Polish and Russian as "Grodno," "Horodno" and "Grodne," was the largest city in the Grand Duchy of Lithuania and the second largest in Belarus.